The Thrive Approach
We Value Purpose as Much as Profit.
Our agency has sold over $3 Billion dollars (that's Billion with a "B") of products and services for our clients. And we are experts at creating invincible marketing to magically convert customers’ minds with brain-friendly branding, messages and websites using neuroscience.
At Thrive Marketing®, we have three pillars that guide everything that we do:
Pillar 1: Have a Noble Cause
Over 20 years, our founder Christie Turley has started 8 of her own businesses - in addition to helping 1000s of other businesses grow -- for one big reason: to create a huge positive impact in the world.
But when she took a life-changing trip with her husband to Haiti to build houses and feed orphans with a group of other entrepreneurs, she came away with three new transformational beliefs:
- That she (like you) can create a huge impact, no matter what type of business is owned.
- The more money made in the business, the more positive change can be made in the world.
- And, the more she helps businesses (like yours) who have a noble cause, the bigger the ripple effect of change in the world.
And it turns out that she discovered something else…
There’s a HUGE trend in the US - and all over the world.
This is exactly why we have one huge rule when working with clients:
We only work with companies who have a noble cause in place, or want to put one in place with our help. And the Noble Cause needs to be done in a deep, meaningful way (not a superficial way just to help make more profits). Because whether you realize it or not, people can sniff right through what’s in alignment and what’s not!
Pillar 2: Grow Exponentially, not Linearly
As humans we naturally think linearly, but the world is changing exponentially…
Linear growth is a step-by-step straight path from here to there.
With exponential growth, you’re taking those same steps, and each step is a doubling of the step before. For example, Jay Abraham is famous for saying:
There are just three ways to grow a business:
Increase the number of customers.
Increase the average transaction value per customer.
Increase the number of transactions per customer.
Most businesses only concentrate on the first step. They have a high churn rate and they invest more into marketing than companies that also focus on the other areas. The beauty of mastering the three ways to grow your business is that they compound on one another.
Double each metric (very achievable in our experience) and you reap a gain that looks like this:
2x2x2 = 8 fold increase in revenue
And we believe EXPONENTIAL businesses can do even better, so we’ve altered the saying:
There are just three ways to grow an EXPONENTIAL business:
Increase the number of customers referring new customers.
Increase the value you offer to earn a premium price.
Increase the customer connection to create more reasons to buy from you, again and again.
- Christie Turley, Founder, Thrive Marketing
4 Main Pathways to Growth:
We believe there are 4 main pathways to Exponential growth. Your chosen pathway depends on your goals and where you are now, and can change over time:
- Expand into new markets and channels with existing products & services.
- Saturate and grow market share with existing products & services in existing markets.
- Launch new products in existing markets.
- Innovate and re-imagine your brand by adding new products and services into new markets.
Pillar 3: Use Brain-Friendly Marketing Ethically
Want your marketing to work even better?
Then start speaking the language of the brain.
“People don’t buy the best products & services. They buy what they can understand the quickest.”
- Christie Turley, Founder of Thrive Marketing
When you add neuroscience into your marketing, you can expect that messages, visuals and marketing will more easily penetrate the minds of your customers.
But be warned, this is so powerful that it MUST be used in an ethical way. That’s why (without exception), all Thrive clients must have a true Noble Cause OR have a true desire to create one with our help (see the Noble Cause pillar).
In our experience, Brain-Friendly marketing is an awareness and blending of these four main areas:
Since learning is a key part of the buying process, your marketing must communicate to ALL four buying styles and address the mental triggers of each learning style. Most companies only speak to one buying style in their marketing, and so you have probably been alienating ¾ of your potential customers! When you adapt your marketing to incorporate ALL four buying styles, you will attract more people to your brand and they will understand you quickly. Plainly stated, you will sell more products and services - and impact more people.
Heart triggers are the most fascinating to us because it has been scientifically proven through the work of pioneer neurocardiologist, Dr. J. Andrew Armour that humans have a “heart brain,” a complex and intrinsic nervous system that is a brain in the heart. They have found that there are thousands of neuroreceptors in the heart passing information to the brain in ways that greatly affect how we perceive and react to the world around us. In other words, heart intelligence is really the source of emotional intelligence. So if you think mental triggers and buying styles is powerful, the heart triggers have even better potential impact to get you into the hearts and minds of your prospects and customers.
Cognitive biases heavily affect your customers’ decision making, for better or worse. One example of a cognitive bias is the Bandwagon Effect. It states that the probability of one person adopting a belief will increase based upon the number of people who hold that belief. This is a form of groupthink and is why most meetings are non-productive (by the way, to hold a very productive meeting, see our founder Christie Turley’s article in Fast Company). We put these cognitive biases to your advantage so you can influence more people and help transform more lives.
Based on the work of Abraham Maslov and Milton Erickson, and later used by Tony Robbins in his mentoring programs, the 6 Human Needs approach can inspire people to action. Each person is primarily driven by one of these needs, which affects the decisions and actions they take. When we incorporate ALL 6 human needs into brand positioning, messaging and marketing -- just like ALL 4 learning styles -- MORE people who have different needs and learning styles will take action with our marketing.
The 6 Human Needs are:
- Certainty - The person is striving to experience comfort and gain certainty in life in order to minimize the stress of uncertainty.
- Uncertainty - The person is striving for a little variety and uncertainty in life to relieve boredom, predictability and stagnation.
- Significance - The person is striving to gain a sense of significance and importance in the eyes of others. They need a sense of identity.
- Connection - The person is striving to make deep connections with people. They have a need to love and be loved by others - and to belong.
- Growth - The person is striving to learn, experience and grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually in a variety of ways throughout their life.
- Contribution - The person is striving to contribute to something greater than themselves. They are all about adding value to other people’s lives.
The higher you go on the scale to help your customers, the more you can command premium prices and the more attractive your brand.
Want High Impact Marketing?
The way a marketing agency approaches planning and strategy tells a lot about the work and results they will produce.
Thrive Marketing has won a number of awards over the years, including awards from the American Marketing Association (AMA):
- Integrated Marketing Campaign: New Product
- Integrated Marketing Campaign: Existing Service
- New Product/Service Campaign
- Existing Product/Service
- Campaign Web Advertising
- Creative Packaging
- Award for Excellence
- Printed Collateral